Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Orphanage

My favorite day on our visit was the day we were able to go to the Orphanage.
Since the earthquake, I have been in contact with, donating to and hoping to visit another orphanage (Foyer De Sion) which is located about an hour from where we will live. We did not have much time on our visit and really needed to compelte some logistical things, but we decided to stop by an orphanage a friend had recommended. The problem was even after our driver picked up a local kid on the street to drive us through the country hillside using 4WD for close to an hour we still could not find the orphanage our friend had recommended. We took different roads, if you can call them roads, on the way back and ended up driving past another orphanage called Gods Littlest Angels. I asked the driver to stop and after he convinced the guard to get someone for us to talk to an American woman came out to talk to us. She told me she was from Colorado Springs, CO and the orphanage is based there. So their home base is less than an hour from our home base.
I asked her, Holli, if I could volunteer with our older children. I told her I was a NICU nurse and she was really excited. She said they had been hoping & praying for a NICU nurse to come to them as their NICU was overfull at this time. I can not find it a coincidence that we arrived at this orphange, who was in need of my work experience, totally by accident. This is one of (if not the only) orphanages in Petion-ville that serves only babies. They currently have 54 baby's under 2 years old at this building.
As we toured the orphanage I felt completley at home for the first time since being in Haiti. I know Heavenly Father guided us there that day and I am so excited to be able to learn and work with the people there. Especially the littlest people. But, I am most excited for my kids to be there.






No comments:

Post a Comment