Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Change

People ask me all the time, do you see change in Haiti? Is the money going anywhere? 
I even have other people say to me "I would never donate there because it is so corrupt the money is not going to help the people."
I am not an expert on aid and how much should go where and what is an acceptable amount of change in any given time period, but I do know there is change going on. In fact we were really impressed with some of the changes that had been made. I can think of 3 small and one LARGE tent city that were all cleaned up in the short 6 months we were there. They all revealed city parks where people were recreating, giving hope and a sense of community to the people. 
There is so much change that needs to happen in Haiti, but I do see it starting. 

Before: The Capitol, blocks and blocks of grass around the capitol were covered in tent cities when we first arrived
After: The Capitol area now

 Before: A tent city in Petionville, this is what it looked like when we arrived, except the colors were all drab by the time we came, it looked like a sea of gray
After: This is what the area looked like when we left, totally cleaned out

The clean up effort, Haitians cleaning up Haiti

Some kids on some of the rubble
Don't get me wrong, there is still so much to be done. No person, let alone a toddler should ever have to live in a tent city. 






No comments:

Post a Comment