Friday, August 3, 2012

Pita & Honey vs. Vinegar

The two hardest mentalities for me in Haiti, of course, not counting poverty related issues;

1- Pita- direct translation "later"
Everything was pita, pita, pita. It kind of became a joke in our house. It is not uncommon to wait for people for hours beyond the arranged meeting time.
Here is one of my favorite quotes;
CT "I know how to make a Haitian be on time, just tell them to be here 2 hours earlier than you want them."

2- Honey goes further than vinegar
When we first moved there we met with a woman from Justin's work who told me in no uncertain terms, the way to get what you want here it by being super submissive, stroking egos, deferring to the man at all times and if all else fails act helpless, after you have stroked their ego, and bat your eyelashes. Needless to say this was a stretch for me and a very hard lesson to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment