Wednesday, April 18, 2012

America

Haitians have this thing where whenever a plane lands they all clap and cheer loudly. I was tempted to join in when we landed in NYC.
We recently enjoyed a trip to America. I can not tell you how excited we were to be back in the US of A
NYC was a good first stop for us. It was amazing how walking the streets of Times Square suddenly seemed extremely mild except when Justin and TJ lost the rest of us. They were terrified at the idea of us "wandering NYC" alone. We were at the American Doll store totally fine. He underestimated my ability to walk there with the 3 babies, IS, and CT. He does not see what we do day in and day out here in Haiti.
The kids had a good time. BJ was surprised at the roads "Wow this is a nice, new road" and the bathrooms "Hey Mom, this church has toilet paper!" The kids asked us regularly if they could drink the water. Despite some major overestimation, lots of change, and a few major meltdowns they adjusted fine and were happy to be "home" and see family and friends. Our visit included many celebrations, a new cousin, Easter, a visit from out of town cousins, 3 Easter egg hunts, 4 family birthdays and 3 birthday parties. Also eating lots of eating!
A picture in NYC with the Flag. Seriously seeing the flag brought tears to my eyes.

IS and some cousins. Rebecca, this one is for you.

More Cousins-

There are 11 grandkids on my side. The kids are expecting their first on Justin's side in August.

One of my favorite stops, "Costcotopia" and the tire center. I just sat and watched the guys change the tires although I did not have a tire to be changed. In fact, I can not remember ever changing a tire in the US. But, I fantasized about having one changed there while eating churro and shopping around Costco.

We are surrounded with amazing, charitable people in our lives. We ended up bringing 4 bags full of hygiene kits for the kids at the feeding program, shoes that my Grandpa sent and other goodies people donated. I can not even begin to tell you how overwhelmed I am at peoples' generosity. The people at Frontier Airlines checked all these items for free. I love being able to witness the good in those that surround us! Thank You! I will post pictures when we deliver the stuff.

Some thoughts on America:
You will never hear me say anything Anti-American. It just won't happen. I am more and more thankful everyday that God chose to send me there. I realize our government is not perfect, but I do not think any man-run organization ever could be. I just know that if Haiti could have even the "most imperfect parts" of our government it would help the common people so much. I wish there was a good social services, WIC, and Medicaid program here. I just know I will never take for granted the working government we have.
But the question we got asked the most while we were home was "Are you sad you have to go back?" I am sorry if I have ever sent that impression on this blog. The truth is we LOVE it here. It is hard, it is hot, it is dirty, it is stinky. But the people are amazing, serving is rewarding, being with the kids 24/7 is even okay, learning a new culture and a new language is awesome. Bottom line, I like the person I am here more.
So my goal is to take back what I have learned and continue to try and be the person Haiti has molded me into (believe me there was a lot of molding and still is a lot more to be done) while at "home".
Thank you to all who read this blog, after so many people from our life at home shared that they have been reading it made me a little intimated to write. But here I am and this is our life...

2 comments:

  1. I really wish my kids could have seen their "cousins". They talk about them all the time. Looks like you had a good time back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so HOW are you are different person in Haiti? I'm curious to hear what specifically is different.

    ReplyDelete