Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tent City Nursing

I was able to go out again this week to Kanaan, the tent city, to do another clinic. The theme this week was scabies and teen pregnancy. No comment.
The team that Awaken Haiti had in this month was from Canada. They built this blue building which will serve as a Kindergarten.  It was literally built it in 4 days. All that was in place before they came was the cement floor. They do such amazing work. The large brown building in the background serves as the church/school for some of the citizens on Kanaan. 
Some of the Kindergartners who will be profitted from all the hard work.
This is one of the patients who came in to the clinic. She has 1 year old twins with some of the worst asthma I have seen and I have seen a lot here. The allergies are horrible and then the tent city is located in an are with NO trees or any other kind of green stuff. There is dust everywhere.
Anyways, as we were walking to lunch she called us over to her house, this tent is about 8x8. I am not sure who else lives there besides her and her two babies. But I do know I would probably consider it too small for our family to even camp in (that is if I went camping and after this 6 months I will not be for a while, if ever). Anyways, she wanted money for milk for her kids. It was heart breaking. Here is this poor woman in dire circumstances asking for money for milk to feed her kids. I wish I could have given her something more sustainable. The worst part is at the time I did not give her anything, but then I went home and felt so badly about it we stopped there the next day to give her some.
 Now, remember these circumstances and check out the look on this womans face. Pure happiness. This is what I see over and over when I am seeing people in their real lives. Life is hard here, circumstances are not only "not ideal" they are bad, very bad. But despite it all people are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment