Friday, July 6, 2012

Always For One More

There is a saying in Haiti, especially when it comes to cars. 
"There is always room for one more"
I can not tell you how many times we have tested this in our car. It is not uncommon to have 12 people, sometimes 14. We live up a very steep hill and it is just customary to pick up people on the way up or down. So we do.  Not to worry, usually just children, women and elderly. 
Some people will not get in my car, I don't blame them. 
After all not only am I white but a woman driver. 
And I drive in giant manholes!
Our back seat, with 6 people.
The 7 I picked up one day and shoved in the backseat.

2 comments:

  1. Always room for one more...I have heard my mom say this exact thing, and also, the more the merrier. She adopted 10 children, Whitney. Be careful! ;) You remind me of her...big heart, taking care of other people's children...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Rachel always picks up kids on the way to/from school. But she told me she will only pick up the boys, because they always come to the window and say thank-you, but the girls just walk off like they deserved it or something! That made me laugh. One time she picked up some boys, and drove us all the way to MTM - she had forgotten they were on the back of the truck, and they never "tapped" to let us know they wanted to get off! So funny.

    ReplyDelete