Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I am a Real Haitian Now

So, driving in Haiti is tough. Really tough. For one thing the roads are really unpaved and unmarked, for another people walk in the streets as cars park on the side walks, in areas where they do exist, for another thing others drive on motorcycles like kamikaze pilots. It is not uncommon for roads to be two ways one day and one way the next, with no warning. Most roads were built for two way traffic but they usually turn into at least 3-4 lanes. It is one giant game of chicken.

And the worst part is that there are uncovered manholes everywhere.
I have often seen people drive their whole front end into them. In fact just the other morning I was driving home and saw a lady I thought to myself ‘how would you ever even get out of that?’ Well, later that day I had the opportunity to find out. I drove into one. Right into it. I almost started to turn down a one way then quick corrected. I looked up just in time to see a motorcycle driver waving frantically at me and then I fell in the whole. The whole family was with me. The best part is all the cars around me started honking at me like they do when they want you to move, like I could! Luckily our truck is a tank, literally a tank. I put it in 4 low and 3 guys and Justin helped to lift us right out.
Not the hole I fell into, but you get the idea. About 3x3 and 5 feet deep!


Here this moving truck decided the garbage truck was moving too slow so her took about 10 min getting around him, scrapping them both up as he went. Then the garbage truck moved.

There are also times when they just stop selling gas. It creates madness like this swarm of angry people at the gas station.
And this kind of thing happens everyday when a truck was trying to make it up the hill, decided he was too heavy so  just decided to dump half of his load and then try again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment