Friday, March 30, 2012

Haitian Workout

Any of you that have known me for any length of time, know that I enjoy exercise. I would spend 2-3 hours a day exercising in college. Through the years I have not been able to devote that kind of time to exercise and have transformed into more of a fatherly figure (pun intended). The day just doesn't feel right without getting in a good workout.

For people that struggle (on many levels) to live day to day, exercise is not a priority for the Haitians. In fact, I suppose many of them can't wrap their mind about someone wanting to jog on purpose when they don't have enough to eat. For these reasons, there aren't a lot of gyms in Haiti.

Due to various security issues, I haven't struck out on a long jog, nor have I been able to lift weights. I was feeling down and out about this the other day, but realized just about every day I am putting in a "Haitian workout." From climbing the hills every day in the bidonvilles (shantytowns) where I work, to hauling buckets of water to the tank on the roof (no electricity to power pump for the last week), to hiking down a steep hill in the rain because the driver can't make it up the hill to pick me up, I am getting a workout. Nothing comes easy in Haiti and this is just another example.

No comments:

Post a Comment