Monday, March 5, 2012

Two Months Later

I can not believe we have been here for 2 months already.
In some ways it feels like we have been gone for a long time. On most days I can not believe we only have 4 more months here. I feel like we have learned so much, but still have so much to learn and do.
Like all things in life, there are great things about living here and hard things about living here. For example, the other day I finally went through the pile of mail that my sister brought and spent all day paying bills and making appointments for when we are home visiting. I know these are necessary things and I don't know how you do life in America without them. But it's amazing here how when you are not busy in the thick and thin of things life feels more fulfilling. I wish there was a way to come back to the States and not get caught up in the necessities of life that are really so non-necessary.
Now for the hard things. I find that the hard things in life are what make us grow and hopefully change us. I hope that the things that need to be changed in us will be changed.
Some random Haiti pictures of everyday images I don't want to forget.
There is a really good graffiti artist around here. Most of his paintings are political and really impressive.

The banana tree in our yard. The leaves on these things are huge and they make a really cool sounds in the wind, but it is unlike anything back in the States. It took some getting used to to sleep through here.

CT with some kids that he was playing soccer with tonight. They are ages 13 & 16. I am really proud of how CT has acted here. He has no problem walking right up and asking if he can join a game even though the kids are a few years older and 10x better at soccer. He tries to speak Creole with them and despite the fact that many of these kids are openly and ruthlessly teasing him about his soccer or speech he just laughs along with them. He always says hello to strangers and will go up and shake peoples' hands when they are staring at us. People immediately smile and open up when he talks to them. It is great. I am really proud that he is really just taking all this in.


I don't want to forget this. It is the closest thing to a park that is within a 30min drive of our house. In fact, it is walking distance and the kids have a blast playing in the dirt and playing soccer. Although tonight Justin broke his toe playing.

2 comments:

  1. So true on your statement...only two months yet wow, two months. I miss you tons! I long for the day we can talk again every day hahaha.

    ReplyDelete