Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Chicken Kill

Warning: This post may make you a vegetarian!

Ever since we moved here, we have been wanting to buy one of those little chickens we see in a market and make it for dinner. 
So we did. 
My oldest child may never talk to me again.
All those who were not napping during the process (AKA the oldest 3), may need therapy.
Including me.
Roselie is as tough as nails.


All my Haitian squatters making friends with the chickens. 
 Then the deed. For those of you who do not know this boy, he can be a bit of a bruiser. He never feels pain and sometimes does not hesitate to give it out. So to see him terrified and disgusted at the slaughter tells you just how awful it was. 
 Plucking the feathers

 Then she held the raw, naked thing over my burner and sealed all of its skin.
 The finished product, there were a lot of leftovers!

Lesson learned, don't know your food before you eat it. 
Never a good choice. 

5 comments:

  1. This is unreal!!! Btw...I love your squatters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, that was a terrible thing to make your kids watch! The first time I saw chickens be killed, plucked, boiled and bottled, I was in college and still remember it vividly. Also love the Haitian squat but please don't traumatize our babies anymore!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did everyone eat the chicken after they saw that? Grandma Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. EWWWW, EWWWW, EWWWW! So gross! Love TJ's face, too funny!

    ReplyDelete