Wednesday, June 6, 2012

GLA

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.”

We have had the opportunity to meet so many amazing people while in Haiti. I have talked about some of the Haitians and I really need to write about some of the expats here. I have been struggling with how to tell other peoples stories, so I decided to just tell you my interaction with them and you can link to their websites to learn more if you so desire. Most of the people I want to tell you about have relocated their whole lives to Haiti and are now here serving with and working with the people of Haiti to help make their lives better. 
The first organization I wanted to talk about is God's Littlest Angels. It is an orphanage up in the mountains above our home and it is amazing. I have known it was amazing every since I first set foot in there, but this week I was able to go with Adrah and do a PT eval at the toddler house. 
I think it is one thing to do babies well, it is a whole other thing to do school age children and the terrible twos and threes well. And they are doing VERY well. They have a school on site, a huge playground, computer lab etc. This is one well run organization.  
IS with one of the little girls who probably should have been napping
They have clean, well painted, cute rooms with nice beds and their own stuff
A few days ago another local orphanage was shut down due to the conditions. GLA took 23 of the kids in. Two of the children were so covered in rat bites that they had to be hospitalized right away. Here are the children having their afternoon nap. They are in the process of trying to figure out what to do with them permanently but in the mean time they are doing a beautiful job with what they were given. 
They have a great US style NICU. I mean a real isolette and CPAP and everything. Adrah got a picture I will post later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment