Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Feeding Program


We were finally able to go back to the feeding clinic today. It is such an amazing place. The more time I spend there, the more stories I hear of amazing faith which makes me want to be there more. Again this is a program who feeds the local kids, mostly from tent cities, 3 times a week.
All of the children have a "badge" like this that tells their name and I think what table they are supposed to sit at. I am not sure what the date is. It is a great way to make sure about who they are feeding and who is missing. It makes me feel more safe there with the kids that the people who are participating are screened.
Here are some of the little people we met today.

This sweet little girl was hanging on my pant leg until I got the camera out. Then she wanted me to take a picture of her new shoes. Whenever you take a picture they want to see it right away. Imagine a bunch of little children grabbing the camera out of your hands.

This little one had blonde hair. It is not something you see very often and usually is not a good sign. One of the later signs of malnutrition and anemia is red hair. I have to assume this blonde hair is a later stage and really not a good thing. Her skin was really red, if you compare it to the child below here, you can see what I mean. But as IS pointed out when I was trying to tell them that this child was sick, she said "No Mom, she looks to happy to be sick."

This little guy was clapping along to the preacher's message. He was wearing only a womens shirt backwards. It had a deep V that showed most of his backside and fit him like a dress. Something about this little girl who couldn't have have been any older than my own babies really struck me. She was there with what I assume may have been an older sister. However, there were other babies there who appeared to be alone. No parents there. It made me wonder how desperate life must be to send your baby away to get food.
Another beautiful, shoeless child. I think less than 1/2 of the children had shoes and the ones who did were mostly Crocs. I swear those things live forever!


When this little girl saw the camera she wanted me to take a picture of her. It is funny to see these kids in clothes that were probably worn by an American for some special event one time and now they may be one of this child's only possessions. Anyway what struck me in this picture was the picture of Christ behind her. He is so real here. People testify of him freely and have such faith in him. I can feel his presence in a way I only hope to bring back to the States with me. Sometime I will share some of the amazing stories I hear.

Us serving, perhaps this is what helps to make the Spirit so strong here.

2 comments:

  1. What an AMAZING thing to do...and to serve such beautiful children, how neat for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!!! I cannot wait to come!!

    ReplyDelete