Saturday, February 4, 2012

You will get used to it...

I am constantly telling the kids "Don't worry you will get used to it." Not just here but, life in general. Here I say it to things like "the cold showers, the food, the heat, the traffic, the people, the smells, the noise, the music (right now I am listening to someone play "You are my sunshine" in disco form outside), the stupid roosters that are up all night making racket, the strange looks we get, the language, the lack of personal space, etc.
Today when I picked Rachel up from the airport and saw her see Haiti for the first time, I realized in some ways we have gotten "used to things". In some ways this is good, in other ways I am disgusted at myself. How can one see garbage everywhere and just think "well, that is how they do it here". How can one see half clothed children in the street eating bowls of rice and think "well, at least they have something to put in their bellies". How can one see houses that are not fit for an animal to live in and their occupants out front, some of which are children, and think "at least they have somewhere to sleep"?
Maybe getting used to it is not such a great thing after all. Is this how turning a blind eye to the situation here starts? I hope not.

1 comment:

  1. If/when you find the balance there - please share! I don't know how a person could live there and not just get used to some of it... or just feel your heart ripped out all the time as the needs are so overwhelming!

    Congratulations on being there a whole month! I'm sure the first month must be the hardest :)

    ReplyDelete