Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Victims of Circumstance

Ever consider yourself a victim of circumstance? That statement has been rolling around my head the last few weeks, as I have considered how blessed I am to be born and live in the United States. What did I do to have all of the blessings that surround me?

What would life be like for me now if I had been born in Haiti? Where would I be living, what would I be doing? It is sometimes an overwhelming concept to wrap your mind around. I don't know if I would have been tough enough to make it.

What has been very interesting to me is to observe the general state of people in Haiti. They appear to be content with their situation and, in general, seem to be very happy. Most of them don't know what they are missing, or do they.

I wonder if they hear news about life in America (reality TV, drug abuse, politics) and just think about how silly it all is. The things that I viewed as being blessings before coming down here (the wants of life) aren't necessarily considered blessings any more. I am not saying that I want to live a minimalist lifestyle, but my life could certainly be made simpler. (I wonder what Whitney would think if I told her we were getting rid of our washing machine and dishwasher and doing laundry and dishes by hand? If you know Whitney, you probably know the answer to that question.)

Our lives can get so clouded by the distractions around us. What if all we had to do everyday was sit outside our home and ponder the meaning of life. I could have become a great philosopher. Anyways, I am thankful for all that I have, and most thankful for this opportunity to recognize the "things" of life that I don't necessarily need, those that don't contribute to lasting joy or happiness. Ponder that in between episodes of "Jersey Shore."

1 comment:

  1. Oh brother, you would have made a great philosopher! I know they care a lot about the politics in the U.S. because they say it affects them. On all the Caribbean islands I have been to all they care to talk about are politics in the U.S. A subject I am not well versed on. Our economy affects them (tourism, etc.). So I do believe they hear all the news about life in the U.S. But keep philosophizing!

    ReplyDelete