Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Only in Haiti

So tonight we decided to hire an armed security guy for the night shift. He is a member of our Church. We met with him and feel really great about it. Nothing really has changed, we just feel like we would never forgive ourselves if something happened and we did not take all the precautions we could have.
So we told our current unarmed security guard that we wanted him to start working the day shift and have the other guy do the night. His feelings were very hurt and he said "It is because I am black right?" Now mind you every person who has ever been in or out of this house save our family and 2 friends is Haitian and therefore "black". My daughter is "black". We have chosen to live in this country full of "black" people. And the new security guy is "black". I almost laughed out loud.
However, I will admit I had a little taste of racism the other day when we were at the beach. We were one of two "white" families that I saw anyway. The people who worked there were blatantly rude to us. Our room was "not ready" until 4 hours after "check-in" time. While people all around me got rooms quickly. They would not give us the internet code, rolled their eyes about giving us towels then only to give us 4 for our party of 11, they would not give us water, etc. It was so blatant it got to the point of comical. I imagine living with it day in and day our in your home country, however, it would not be comical. Again another thing I needed to see first hand and learn in Haiti.

2 comments:

  1. I would think the guard would be thankful he's getting the day shift versus the night shift. Seems like he got the better end of the deal and it's unfortunate he isn't seeing it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about his comment ever since I first read your post - and still can't wrap my brain around it! It would have been hard for me not to laugh as I probably would have assumed he had to be joking. Interesting about your experience at the beach - and very sad. I think it would benefit Haiti greatly to have a boost in their tourism, but that certainly won't happen with that type of service. Someday you will have to email me which beaches you like the best and how far away they are - we would love to go to the beach when we come to pick up G :)

    ReplyDelete