Friday, February 17, 2012

Kanaan Clinic

Kait, Rachel, and I were able to go out and do a clinic in the tent city on Friday. Justin was able to work from home because "Carnival" (aka Mardi Gras) starts here on Tuesday so traffic is bad. We battled traffic and did the clinic. It was really rewarding and fulfilling.
The group "Awaken Haiti" is working in a small section of this tent city. They are partnered with a pastor and built a school which functions as a church on Sunday and a small building they are using as a clinic at times right now. They are planning to build a larger clinic this summer.
One thing that was different about working in this clinic and where I worked at home, is praying with the patients. I have to admit at first the ER nurse in me thought this would only slow down the number of people we could see, but then I did it.
I prayed only with two this time. One sticks out as it was a lady who was there in poor health due to lack of water and food. She had high blood pressure and some other issues. I asked her what specifically we could pray for her about. She said "please pray I will have enough water to be healthy, enough food to fill my belly, and that I will have a house soon so I can get out of my tent." Ugh, let me just tell you it was tough to choke these words out. I have never asked for these things in a prayer, only offered gratitude that I have them. How blessed we are.

Counseling with patients.

This little girl found me while I was eating lunch, something I feel guilty doing as I have been seeing people all morning who are sick because they do not have enough food. She was begging for my chips.

The team that Awaken Haiti had in this weekend will build 2 of these houses in 3 days.

The city of Kanaan. You can see our "truck" parked by one of the buildings they built.

Some of the "nicer tents" here. You can see a Mama and her children outside trying to stay cool in the shade of the tent.

A typical tent house.

No comments:

Post a Comment