Saturday, January 14, 2012

1 week later

We have been in Haiti one week.
As Justin and I were talking this morning we were feeling like we still had to much to do to get settled then stopped to remember where we are 1 week later and had to stop and be very grateful
1- We found a good place to live and it is in a very safe area and is close (in Haiti terms) to town, friends, and work.
2- We found a car that seems to be working okay. It is still a beast to drive, but runs.
3- We found great friends. The two oldest kids' have friends over right now and their Mom spent the afternoon driving me around town getting oriented.
4- Justin is getting settled in his job.
5- We have found someone to help with driving, security, and house work.
6- We have figured out, as much as one can figure out, how to drive around here and feel like we are learning where things are. I know it seems silly, but I am grateful I learned to drive in Chicago and am okay with crazy traffic. I have always loved to drive and driving here you have to love it.
7- We found a guy who cashes US checks. We were a little unprepared for paying upfront for everything. Like 3 months rent and it has knocked us off our feet a little.
8- The oldest 2 kids and I went to the orphanage today and it was great. I held and fed a tiny little guy in the NICU and I remembered what I love to do.
9- We found the church and were able to go. With our move, church will start at 6am. Whoa! Sacrament is not until 7:50 so at least that is doable.
10- The kids seem to be adjusting okay. They make comments about missing things or people, but overall are doing well.

1 comment:

  1. 6 AM!?! Holy Moly...you got to have a strong testimony for that one J/K :) So glad all is going well and that the Lord is watching out for your family. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete