Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blessed?

One thing that I have really had time to reflect on while we have been here is how blessed I am. I start thinking of ways that I feel blessed in a way that people around here are not and besides health, the blessings are all material things. Things that make my life "easier". A nice home, cars, dishwashers, washers and dryers, and disposals. And convenience things. Power, water, close grocery stores that have every thing my little heart could dream of etc, etc, etc.
As I have been reflecting on this I have been wondering what I did or did not do that God choose to send me to the life he did and others to another life. If I am totally honest, I would say my life has been really easy. I have never needed in the way I see people need here. However, I bet I have wanted more than they could ever dream of. I have struggled with what my role here should be. Do I try and bring my life to them, do I give endlessly, do I try and judge whom I give to? I am still prayerfully trying to figure this out. Looking at how people live here I have contemplated, does the ease of my life make my life better?
From where I now sit I would say NO. Not better different. And is some ways the "ease" comes with a lot of committments and burdens that I do not see here. I bet nobody here ever worried what sports to put their child in.
The thing that is amazing to me is that people here seem genuinely happy. They are kind and gentle and loving. This is a huge generalization that I know I am not qualified to make, but just my observations. People are trusting, open, helpful, and most importantly I think that people know God in a way I have never taken the opportunity to. The level of faith that is shown to me here is something I can not even begin to describe. I thought we had faith in leaving our "safety" of the States and dragging our 6 kids here with a lot of unanswered questions. And while I can not doubt that God has blessed us beyond measure, I can only hope someday my faith will be enough to change my heart the way I see people here doing. These people truly have humble, soft, lovely souls. They are hard working and do not act as though anyone owes them anything. I think in the end I do not need to bring my life to them, but rather learn from them and help where I can. Still just trying to figure out what that all means.
Some views from where I sit:
These are taken from our balcony. The clouds rolling in over the mountains. There is just something about the mountains that always makes me feel God's presence.

Some women doing the nightly water run and returning for the day with the things they were selling. Everyday people cart these heavy tubs up and down the mountain to sell stuff.


This is Ephanie, 22. She is a single girl who lives with her family right across the street from us. I feel such a contrast looking from our nice house seperated by the barbed wire, gate, and guard into her home. I have not talked to her much because I have not brought my computer over with google translator yet. But someday I would like to get to know her more. Her smile is infectious.


Someone once told me the best security you could have in Haiti is that of a strong social equity. We are trying to build that equity. Tonight we went on a walk to watch the local soccer game. We ran into a lady carrying the bucket on her head and the one in her hand. CT helped her down the mountain with the water. I hope the kids will see what I am seeing. The material things are not what brings happiness, the service and love of others is what will bring it.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't even been down there, but following your blog has made me feel more of an awareness for all I have...thank you for sharing your story. You and your family are AMAZING and I love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have asked several great questions, and I tend to think that asking the right questions is half of any battle. I'm looking forward to hearing what answers you come to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post, Whitney. A friend of mine has lived in Haiti off and on for many years and I hear the same love for the people and their trust in God in your words as in hers. A few years ago they moved their family to Haiti for 6 months (they have 3 Haitian children). Recently she and her eldest son were talking about it and he said "Mom, remember when we moved to Haiti and we didn't have any toys and all we had to play with were rocks?" (They had given all their toys away to friends shortly after moving.) She replied "Yes, that was hard, wasn't it." He said "Mom, those were the happiest days of my life." That from a 10 year old!! She said she wept... may your children also be changed for life through this trip.

    ReplyDelete