Friday, January 20, 2012

Whitney

There is a Haitian proverb that states, "Women are like mahogany; they get better with age." This is certainly true of Whitney, although I won't say she has aged (still 29 and holding).



Throughout our courtship and married life I have always teased Whitney about her lack of outdoorsmanship (I guess that is what growing up in Chicago does to you). I have always claimed that Whitney's idea of camping is a Motel 6. In fact, I can only recall one time in which we have ever camped as a family and made it through the night.



Well I must admit that living in Haiti is much like camping and not even "glorified" camping. There are no simple tasks here. Everything takes twice as long to get done. For instance, the best way to take a shower is to fill a bucket with a few gallons of water (maybe hot, maybe not) and slowly pour it over your head. Clean is a relative term. To wash the dishes, one must scrape all food scraps into garbage can (no garbage disposals here), wash the dishes, and then rinse in bleach water. The electricity constantly cycles on and off so we have to be careful of what we put in refrigerator. Ah, the simple joys of life.



Through our first two weeks in Haiti, Whitney has been a trooper, a super trooper. I haven't even heard her scream when she sees a mouse run across the floor or a spider the size of a silver dollar. She has done much to get the kids and myself settled in our home. She has taken countless trips to the store to get food and other items (unfortunately there is not a Costco in Haiti so more frequent visits are required). She has hired house help, set up internet, purchased TV, tables/chairs, and various other items from people on the street. She has done all of this without complaint, for which I am very appreciative. Thanks honey, I love you. Maybe when we go home for a week in April, we can go camping.



Someone that has lived in Haiti for some time told me that life in Haiti is hard, whether you are prepared or not. I would now share the same advice with anyone contemplating moving to Haiti. Life is hard, but being here and being able to serve the people of Haiti is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. She is one of the most amazing women I have met. You are one lucky man Justin!!

    ReplyDelete