Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rosalie

Meet Rosalie. We have had a hard time deciding what her job is called. CT called her a "maid" when we first got here. IS quickly corrected him and said that was rude. Our friends in Haiti call people who help in your house "house help". This makes sense to me and makes me feel a lot less guilty. I do know that she is quickly becoming is a good friend. I have found that people who have been in my everyday life, day in and day out helping you, quickly become people you really trust, see a side of you not everyone does (the good, bad and ugly) and in general just become good friends. Before we left CO we had a girl named Rachael with us who went back to school when we left. We miss her.
Anyway, back to Rosalie. I promised I would start writing some more about individual people as they really are what stands out here and I think give a more clear picture of the country in general.
Rosalie is 27. She is from a town about 4 hours away. She used to work in an orphanage here in town. They did not treat her well and she was paid $75/mo. to help care for over 80 kids. She cooked, cleaned and did laundry for them. She quit and was selling shoes on the street until she came to us. A friend of ours brought her to us. And we love having her here!
She is a single mother who has a 6 year old son. Her husband was killed in the earthquake and her son was hurt. She was at the orphanage at the time of the earthquake and was stuck there for days/weeks before she could get home.


IS just watches her day in and day out.
I was trying to do SF's hair one day and she basically pushed me out of the way to do it for me.


2 comments:

  1. She is beautiful! So glad you have someone to help you and someone who is a becoming a "great friend"

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has an amazing smile! I'm sure you are a blessing to her as well.

    ReplyDelete