Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Only in Haiti

I've decided to start another section. Only in Haiti. We keep seeing these things that make us laugh. At least 5 times every car ride BJ says "Hey look at dat (fill in the blank), thats weird!"
This picture was taken while we were waiting for someone to meet us to show us the way to the orphanage. You have to have someone show you as there are no signs anywhere. A bunch of girls were sitting outside the car and IS got out to talk to them. They immediately started trying to take her CTR ring off.


I get really frustrated with everyone here thinking we are really rich and I guess we are compared to them. They think that we need to pay them.
When you find a parking spot little kids always run over and say "I watch your car" Then you have to pay them. And at church the sweet lady behind me asked me the whole time for a dollar. When I was in the internet store a man wanted money for medicine for his child. If you buy a bottle of water at the store, someone wants to carry it out and get paid for it. When what I really want to do is just drink it. But I figure it is good security. It gets really hard knowing who to give to and who not to. I guess it is not for me to judge and if I have it I try to give it. Sometimes I just want to park my car where I want to and not pay someone. But how do you say no to 3 shoeless 8 year olds?


Lizards everywhere. I hope they don't have diseases or CT is in trouble!

This is a huge truck overfilled with I don't know what and a bunch of guys sitting on top. We saw the greatest thing the other day. The main road up the mountain is called Kenscoff. It is a 2 lane twisty, steep road that always has cars broken down on it. Anyway in the middle of the lane was a clump of weeds from the side of the road with rocks propping it up. It looked very deliberately placed. As we rounded the corner we realized there was a truck broken down that they were working on. Justin called it a Haitian road flare.

1 comment:

  1. Very creative about the road flare! I know what you mean about everyone wanting a dollar (or more). We experienced that on every island when we were in the Caribbean. I felt bad saying no, but I couldn't pay everyone. I gave what I could.

    ReplyDelete