Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What will you do in Haiti

Before we came we wondered what we would do with the kids here. It is different than at home, but sometimes different is good.
Go to the market, but not too often because Rosalie can get a much better price than the Blan. It is just fun to see and it replaces my Costco fix I so often need!


Go on Sunday drives with Vlad up the mountain. Here you can see a little Haitian art, it really is amazing. I bought a nativity from one of the vendors there once also.


Visit with police officers that Vlad brings us to interview for security. CT was really interested in her handcuffs, thank goodness he did not see her gun. She will accompany us whenever we go places in Port-Au-Prince.


We play on the "tractors" as BJ calls them. Until Fred, the gate keeper, who lives here takes the kids down because "they are not safe". I do not think Haitian kids play a lot.


Eat at Epidor. It is the closest thing to fast food here. And it cost less than McDonalds which is AMAZING! It is even close enough that I can drive there safely.


We do Yoga to calm our bodies. Okay, maybe mostly to calm my body. Today Rosalie and Fred joined us and they laughed the whole time. I am sure we seem crazy to them. The idea of exercising for fun must seem crazy to people who walk miles to work, do physical labor all day, and eat very little.


We ride scooters. When we had the "lost bag" we prayed that it would be the one with the scooters as they were the most "unnecessary" thing we brought. After being here a few days I have realized that idea was nuts. These scooters are a lifesaver. We just need our first visitor to bring helmets now!



Visit the "zoo" which has some rabbits, a guinea pig, a one footed chicken, and a crazy monkey!

We catch lizards. The boys have "traps" set all over the yard and catch a few in their hands every day.



We try to find the lizards. See if you can see this guy hiding in the tree.



This is the same guy when he was not in camo.



Catch lizards that are so terrifed they can not even shut their mouths.



But what I really want to be doing is serving. I feel like since we have been here it has been all about us. The car, the house, the help, blah blah blah. But that is the impatient part of me again that is just ready to get going.
We are now thinking we will not be able to go to the orphanage until next week and I feel frustrated as we are here for such a short time that I do not want to miss any opportunity to be doing what we are here to do. Of course, I feel like what I am supposed to be doing right now is learning patience.

1 comment:

  1. The lizards bring back memories! Justin and I used to dig up their eggs in Africa and squish them. And some kids tore off the lizards tails. Look at all the outdoor play the kids get. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete