Tuesday, January 31, 2012

People

This picture is the perfect example of why I would like to write stories about specific people. Why it is so important to seek out "the one". Why we should not look at the whole picture and make a vast generalization, something I am so guilty of. How on the surface and at first glance things can look okay. It is only upon further inspection that we find what peoples' real stories are and who people truly are. What they love, what they struggle with, what is right in their lives, and what is not, and where the greatest of friendships are made.

So now look at this picture. Not a scene too uncommon in Haiti. A narrow street, full of people. Big trucks unloading stuff. People selling stuff on the side of the road, etc.


Something about this picture made me blow it up to look at specifics. And I found this man. He is like a lot of people here, thin to the point of unhealthy looking, but look at what he is carrying. I have no idea what it was only that is must have been very heavy by the way he was hunched over. I know it must have hurt his back by the way he is holding his back with his free hand. It made me wonder. Who is he? What is he carrying? How far does he have to walk with it? Is he going to sell what ever is inside of it for money? Is this his job? Does he have a family? Can he feed his family? Where does he live?

There are situations like this daily that make me ask these questions. I am sure there were situations like this in the States too. Was I just too busy to see them? Would it have mattered? Would I have done anything anyway? Is there even anything to be done?

Still trying to figure a lot of things out.

1 comment:

  1. As you said...I know there are people like this all around us. Are we just too busy to notice? I hope to slow down in life and ease the burdens of all those around us.

    ReplyDelete