Sunday, January 8, 2012

Church in Haiti

Today we went to church. The church is a beautiful white building. The chapel is on the second floor, the picture below is taken from 1/2 way back so it is really only 1/2 of the chapel.

Church was interesting. One small thing I love about being part of a world wide religion is that it is the same everywhere you go. The service was the same. The Spirit was the same. The sacrament was the same. Even the songs, although in Creole, were the same.

There were a few things that were different. There was no piano player, although there were 2 pianos sitting at the front. The chorister sang the first line of the song alone and then started over with everyone joining in. I am not a singing expert by any means but, it sounded great to me. There was a kid who walked around with hand sanitizer during the sacrament hymn. He made sure everyone got some and when he got to us, he took the lid off and dumped a bunch in our hands. We must've looked pretty dirty. Frankly compared to these people, we do. They have beautifully cleaned, ironed white shirts. They are such a beautiful people although not particularly warm to us, maybe it is just the language barrier. As the kids pointed out "We were the only white people". The kids were very warm and friendly and sat without toys or treats or anything, except the toddlers who freely roamed to all the rows. Some were in and out of our row too.

One thing that really struck me was the songs. The opening song was Because I have been given Much. For those who do not know the words here are some of them: "Because I have been given much I too must give; because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live, I shall divide my gifts from thee With every brother that I see Who has the need of help from Me. Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care, I cannot see another's lack and I not share My glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my roof's safe shelter overhead, that he too may be comforted. Because I have been blessed by thy great love, dear Lord, I'll share thy love again, according to thy word. I shall give love to those in need; I'll show that love by word and deed: Thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed"

This was really humbling being sung by people who really do not have material things to give. It reminded me that all blessings come from Him and it reminded me of why we are here. I hope that we are able to give of what we do have. It is an overwhelming thought here when there is so much need. We do not really know where to even start but pray God will lead us to where we are supposed to be. I know that we are learning to be even more grateful for what we are blessed with.


No comments:

Post a Comment