Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Orphanage

After church today we went to a friend of a friends' orphanage. Our church is over by 9am so we have plenty of time to do these things on Sunday and I can not think of a better way to spend the day! Our friend runs a small orphanage, 13 children at this time which is near our home. We found out today there are a plethora of orphanages here to choose from. This is not surprising as there are an estimated 1,000,000 orphans in Haiti. There are no state-run orphanages. There are an estimated 700 private run orphanages and homes. Our bishop runs one out of his home also.

I love the tender hearts in my family. Especially these two. How could you not love that sweet, innocent, tender little face. She is beautiful!



The view from my lap. How could you not want to spend your day doing this?


IS is in Heaven lugging babies around.


The kids' think this little boy looks like our friend in the States.



CT helping this little guy, who is 2, learn to walk.



Even the boys had fun playing with the kids. SF was a little more possessive and whenever we picked another child up she ran over and wanted a love. Although she is the first to break the ice wherever we go giving hugs and kisses to all.



With numbers this staggering it is hard to wrap my mind around it.
I have decided to start focusing some of my blog posts on the individual people. It is just too hard to imagine the devastation and living circumstances of these people without focusing on the individuals that are being affected.
So the first story. This beautiful baby boy just turned 1 and his birth Mama. All 13 of the children at this home are already in the process of being adopted. This little man's birth Mom comes often to visit him. It appeared to me that she loved him. She could not, however, provide for him and the father of the child denied that he was his.



Another real person story. This little girl was dropped off at the orphanage this week. I am not sure if you can tell in the picture, but her hair is red. Red hair is not a good sign. It means the child is severely anemic and malnourished. The lady who runs the orphanage said it is always so hard to get children when they are this old and have had a lifetime of hardship. They are delayed beyond measure and already so malnourished.


You can form your own opinion on this situation, I will try to refrain for now. I figure at this point instead of be critical or think of ways to change the situation, my natural reaction, I can commit to help as we can. More to follow on how you can help us as we find more opportunities to serve.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe there are that many orphans in Haiti. It's nice that you can go and bring a smile to the kids face while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way to spend Sunday. The kids look like they are having fun and providing a much needed service. It's hard also for me to hear that there are that many orphans there. That sounds just so overwhelming. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so very, very sad. I love the pics of Justin and IS with the orphans, so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for loving on my baby girl while you are there in Haiti! I'm the mommy adopting baby Nora (Josephine in Haiti). Audrey gave me the link to your page so I could see your pictures! It's so wonderful to see her sweet face and know that she is getting love from others until we can keep that going here at our own home forever! I hope this is okay with you, but I plan on sharing your blog post with all the other adoptive parents so they can see more pics of their babies too. Alex's mommy will treasure seeing the picture of his birth mom holding him--those are pictures that are hard for us to come by, so thank you! Mica, Christenson, and Levi all look great. Love that you were helping Patrick learn to walk--yeah! Blessings to you and your whole family as you do the work of the Lord in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have also asked, if you would be willing to email me those pictures you have of Nora, I would love to have them! I am making a book of her time in Haiti and it would be great to include her being loved on by other people. Here is my email address: angie_thieszen@hotmail.com. I also have a blog you may be interested in following to get more of the "inside workings" of a Haitian adoption from the adoptive parent side. It's http://overthebrim-thieszen.blogspot.com

    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, one more comment--just realized that wasn't Christenson in that pic--it was Little Stevenson! He's a doll. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello - I'm another one of the adoptive moms from ROH - it was lovely to see all these photos of the kids there being loved on :) I have read your blog from start to finish and am fascinated by your adventure! I have dreamed about moving to Haiti for a period of time with our children - close to when Giselle comes home, so your adventure is giving me a mixture of hope that it could be done, and a reality check of how tough it would be :) We actually stayed in the first house that you were at - I saw the same room and bed that I sat on and held Giselle during our visit in May :) The internet truly makes for a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I too am one of the mamas adopting. I am adopting Alex, Rivaldo in Haiti. That is him on his birth mother's lap, and the one you tell the story about. We are also adopting Kettelie, who we have named Grace. She is two. I love reading about your adventures. We are hoping to come soon for court for the babies, but I was wondering if you had seen baby Grace? We haven't had any updates on her in a while, and we are missing our children. Email me if have time. Thanks! Amy Summers
    Email: neuronp2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete